Before storing, cut the stalks off, wrap the stalks separately from the bulb in plastic bags, and store in the crisper section of the fridge. Fennel should keep for 3-4 days, but it is best to use it as soon as possible.
Ideas For Using Fennel
- Sprinkle chopped fennel leaves on hot baked oysters or clams.
- Add cooked fennel to omelets, quiches, stuffings or sauces.
- Add stalks to stocks for their flavor.
- Add sliced sautéed fennel to fish chowders.
- Cook fennel in your favorite tomato sauce.
- Slice steamed or blanched fennel, cover with a vinaigrette and serve chilled.
- Chop raw fennel and add to tuna fish sandwiches.
- Slice fennel thin and layer with raw potatoes, cream and cheese to make a potato au gratin.
- Excerpted from The Victory Garden Cookbook.