We receive the Pacific Northwest Box from Terra Organics each week…late winter and early spring brought lots of Sunchoke and Burdock to our home. I had an unexpected visit to Whole Foods and ended up with a pizza dough. We were looking for a new way to use these ingredients (no more pilaf!) and came up with the tastiest pizza we’ve ever made! Also, you can impress your friends by actually knowing what burdock and sunchokes are.
1 sunchoke – thinly sliced
2 burdock roots – thinly slicked
1/2 onion – thinly sliced
4-6 cloves of garlic – minced
1 uncooked pizza dough
1-2 cups shredded mozzarella
1 Log of goat cheese
2 organic chicken thighs – precooked & thinly sliced (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350*
2. In a skillet, add a bit of olive oil and over medium-high heat, sautee the sunchoke, burdock, onion and garlic.
3. Stretch out your pizza dough in a circle and place on a pizza tray. I recommend taking off any rings while you lamely attempt to toss the dough in the air, and then watch it rip as it gets impaled upon your ring.
3. When your veggies are still slightly crisp, but mostly softened, spread the mixture over your pizza dough.
4. If you want to add chicken, spread the pieces around the pizza as well.
5. Top with a light layer of shredded mozzarella
6. Cut chunks of goat cheese and scatter – LIBERALLY – around the pizza. My feeling is that you cannot have too much goat cheese in your life. I used this philosophy when deciding to add more and more to the pizza. And it was wonderful.
7. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until crust turns golden brown.
8. Eat a slice or two. And then, because it’s so good and you can’t help yourself…eat another!