Basil: For basil with stalks attached, place in a glass of water and cover with a plastic bag secured to the glass. Store in the refrigerator, changing water daily, and use within a week. Do not wash the leaves until you are ready to use them.
Tips for using FRESH BASIL:
- Basil is the ultimate complement to tomatoes, and also pairs very well with onions, garlic, and olives.
- Most other herbs tend to overpower basil’s flavor and aroma, but oregano is one that is most often used with basil. Other good combinations include summer savory, rosemary, and sage.
- When substituting fresh basil for dried, triple the amount.
- Add fresh leaves of basil to your green salads for added aroma and flavor.
- Adding basil towards the end of cooking will serve to retain its aroma and flavor.
Eggplant: Eggplants are very perishable and care should be taken in their storage and handling. Place unwashed eggplant in a plastic bag and store in the refrigerator crisper where it will keep for a few days. Do not cut eggplant before you store it as it perishes quickly once its skin has been punctured or its inner flesh exposed. Wash before use. Eggplant can be enjoyed peeled or with the skin still intact.