I was part of a small group of Tacoma residents that met in 2006 with a shared vision of starting a cooperatively owned grocery store. The organization now has 323 member-owners and has launched a membership and fundraising effort to secure the Neighborhood Market on 6th and Junett by the end of the month. The grocery store will be member-owned and will only stock local, organic, or natural products.
The Co-op is midway through a membership drive and the goal is to bring membership to 400 by the end of February. Board members are hosting 3 more coffee talks this month to share information about Co-op membership. Meetings include:
– Saturday Feb, 19: 12-1pm: Bella Latte (6450 Tacoma Mall Blvd)
– Thursday Feb, 24: 7-8pm Webinar (link located on the co-op’s website)
– Monday Feb, 28: 6-7pm Greener Bean (1039 Regents Blvd, Fircrest)
Members are the owners of the store, and each “share” is a $100 investment that can be paid in full or in 4 payments. You can mail a check or pay online via PayPal. Please see www.TacomaFoodCoop.com for more information on becoming a member, viewing and signing up for newsletters, or offering to help.
A food co-op would be a great asset to our community in Tacoma and would increase access to healthy foods for all. Please consider becoming a member-owner and in joining the effort to establish the store. Thanks for listening.
A few special items next week:
- Rains in California have slowed Strawberry production, so next week we will have 1# containers at $5.50
- Wonderfully juicy, sweet and large Honeygold Grapefruit at $1.50 each
- Beautiful Rapini at $2.50 per bunch
Below is a preview of the standard box contents for next week.
If you have an order scheduled for this upcoming week, you will receive an email Saturday morning at 2am notifying you that the web store has been opened.
If you need to make any changes to your subscription, schedule a vacation or make a payment, please click here.
Dan and The Terra Organics Team